Monday, November 2, 2009

Flu, Faith and Information...

H1N1. Such a little word but it unsettles people so much. Those of us in the developed world aren't used to this kind of pandemic. We don't daily deal with the risk of Malaria or Tuberculosis which combined annually kill 2.7 million people. We are well fed and affluent. We put much faith in our health care system (though we complain about it a lot.) Now we feel vulnerable and a little scared. Notice how people react now when someone coughs on the bus? The question "have you got your flu shot yet?" is replacing "so how about this weather?" as Canadian small talk.

So how do I respond? I educate myself with sources that I can critically evaluate. That includes government sources, workplace sources, and credible scholarly sources. (If you would like links to good sources try the Kellogg Health Library's page.) I take reasonable precautions. And I critically assess my attitude. Yes, my attitude.

About 13 years ago Nova Scotia was on the verge of a huge health care strike. I was working in a small rural pastorate with a high population of seniors. People were understandably concerned and, well, a little scared. Like they are now. We talked about it as a congregation and considered how our faith should influence our perspective of the impending crisis, our conversation about it, and our behaviours. I personally believe I am in a universe with purpose, designed by a God who cares about me and my family. I believe if I must face sickness and suffering I can turn to God for strength, hope and wisdom. I believe that even death is not the end but only the beginning of eternity. Those beliefs should influence my attitude about H1N1 or really any other personal health crisis. Easy to say...harder to do.

I have good information, both medical and spiritual on which to base my personal health choices. So now what do I do with it? How does my personal faith help me evaluate, interpret and apply non-religious information? Should it? I think so....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger